Blogging is a Moving Meditation.

BLOGGING as a MOVING MEDITATION: Liminality's thin passage untangles as it weaves, fits in the ineffable nooks and crannies of my heart's prayer wall, like the cracks in pavement, mile markers on the road, windblown whimsical napkin poems written in eyeliner.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Jersey Smirk


The Jersey Smirk.
Every culture has one and any one with skin and a heart beat understands them, no matter what language.
Call it what you like....  evil eye, eye horns, furrowed brow, raised eyebrow, pointed stare, or my favorite..... “THE GLARE”... (which, i’ve learned is Texas love in the summer.... with the sun glaring down at you with a burnt toast smirk)
Growing up in the North East, in a neighborhood that was of Irish/Italian descent; that look came with a litany of cuss words, flailing arms with pointed specific fingers and occasionally a SHILLELAGH! 
My “look” or “glare” was pointed out twice in one week, by two very astute individuals ... (meaning two of my friends that know me well and STILL love me)
I hadn’t quite looked at that until today when i saw the same “Jersey Smirk” in another. I’m sure no one in the surrounding perimeter would have even slightly known why i suddenly started uproariously laughing.
i’ve heard it said that “Jersey doesn’t have  An Attitude .... it just has Attitude.
Yup, i’d say that’s true, considering Jersey has to contend with an older brother called New York.
However, there is a social tick, called the Jersey Smirk, which is a term that  i just coined and will be adding to the Urban Dictionary shortly.
The “mild version” is the “are you #$*%(^ kidding me” ...  Look.
In it’s more “reserved” form, it very quietly states “that if you don’t stop that, you will die a very slow death” in a relatively short span of time.
If it’s in full form, it will tell you .... Where to go, the most direct way to get there in grave detail and perhaps provide assistance as how to get there physically.
I was reminded today that I “ain’t from around these parts” once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment