Blogging is a Moving Meditation.

BLOGGING as a MOVING MEDITATION: Liminality's thin passage untangles as it weaves, fits in the ineffable nooks and crannies of my heart's prayer wall, like the cracks in pavement, mile markers on the road, windblown whimsical napkin poems written in eyeliner.

Sunday, April 05, 2009

THE BOSS - in Austin Tonight!





Some things are just in your geographic DNA.... and this would be one of those things! Growing up in NJ and having a grandmother that had a bungalow @ the Jersey Shore often meant sunburn and trouble. I grew up in Bloomfield, NJ- just 15 miles or so, from NYC. I never really counted the miles - just googled the information... but trying to get into Down Town Manhattan on a Friday night, 15 miles didn't matter, cuz with traffic it could take 2 hours and that was on a good night or leaving early enough, not to have it matter.

Having NYC as NJ's big brother of sorts, kept most chips off shoulders, however, that didn't quite happen with Bruce Springsteen - with all "brother's" there is rivalry and when Bruce entered any NYC bar or club to play, he usually blew the other contenders off the stage.

One of the first Albums i owned was "Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J." (which was ranked number 379 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "500 greatest albums of all time") Damn! i wish i had that now!
Some of us - still know about UPSTAGE @ Asbury Park and i think it sucks that it was torn down, but thankfully, Bruce stuck a lil memo on his Album in remembrance - Prophetic even then. (hence, the picture.)

However, seeing him at "what was formally known as" THE GARDEN STATE ART CENTER... was amazing, since when he played NJ it was special and you could tangibly feel his heart singing to "home".

So tonight i get to hear "The Boss" play in Austin! - I wanted to blog it, cuz to me it's special and a bit of my roots. My hubby rocked by getting tickets for my Valentine's Day gift! Yes, the boy knows my love language! (thanks dear, i don't know how i'm gonna top that one, but .... well see.... LOL MUAH!)

anyway, still love "Jersey Girl" due to the "down the shore" reference.... in Jersey, you didn't "go to the beach" you went "down the shore", no matter where you were in geographical position to it..... Go figure... - but here are the lyrics.... THIS JERSEY GIRL....... is gonna have some fun tonight!


JERSEY GIRL........................
I got no time for the corner boys
Down in the street making all that noise
Or the girls out on the avenue
`cause tonight i wanna be with you
Tonight i'm gonna take that ride
Across the river to the jersey side
Take my baby to the carnival
And i'll take her on all the rides

`cause down the shore everything's all right
You and your baby on a saturday night
You know all my dreams come true
When i'm walking down the street with you

Sha la la la la la la
Sha la la la la la la la la
Sha la la la la la la
Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

You know she thrills me with all her charms
When i'm wrapped up in my baby's arms
My little girl gives me everything
I know that some day she'll wear my ring
So don't bother me man i ain't got no time
I'm on my way to see that girl of mine
`cause nothing matters in this whole wide world
When you're in love with a jersey girl

Sha la la la...

I see you on the street and you look so tired
I know that job you got leaves you so uninspired
When i come by to take you out to eat
You're lyin' all dressed up on the bed baby fast asleep
Go in the bathroom and put your makeup on
We're gonna take that little brat of yours and drop her off at your mom's
I know a place where the dancing's free
Now baby won't you come with me
`cause down the shore everything's all right
You and your baby on a saturday night
Nothing matters in this whole wide world
When you're in love with a jersey girl

1 comment:

  1. I was never a big Bruce fan, but I still fondly remember growing up there. People put it down, but, I think its one of the best places in the world! :)

    ReplyDelete